Reports to: Senior Technician
Department: Stage & Orchestral Operations
Location: Sage Gateshead
Working hours: 40 hours per week (across a 7-day-a-week rota to include evenings weekends and bank holidays)
Salary: SCP 27, £28,579 per annum
About Sage Gateshead
We are an international music centre based on the banks of the River Tyne. We are a unique venue where artists from across the world perform and audiences from a wide range of backgrounds come to hear, make, and enjoy all types of music.
We support local people to be creative, to develop a passion for music and put music at the heart of communities. Our artist development programme provides local artists with the opportunities they need to develop a career in music. We support young people to make music in our building and in the wider community through programmes such as In Harmony Newcastle Gateshead.
We believe our work makes life better for people in the North East. We’re building a creative, diverse, and passionate team and that’s where you come in…
Are you self-motivated, happy working in a team environment and flexible enough to adapt to a changing environment? If this sounds like you, here are some specific types of experience that will help you hit the ground running.
You must have proven experience of:
- Practical working experience of technical operations for live events and conferences, gained through at least two years working in venues or external sites (with capacity of at least 400 audience members)
- Ability to read and implement technical layout plans
- Developed IT skills and ability to assimilate new technology and software
- Excellent attention to detail
- Willingness to work flexibly across a 7-day-a-week rota to include evenings weekends and bank holidays
- An organised, yet flexible approach and ability to work to tight deadlines whilst remaining calm under pressure
- Demonstrable ability to work as part of a team and under your own initiative
- Ability to be creative and resourceful in problem solving
- An approachable and welcoming character, with an emphasis on creating and sustaining good working relationships
- Ability to work as part of a team to safely lift and install heavy technical equipment on a regular basis
It also helps if you have:
- Experience of safe operation of flying systems, including basic rigging knowledge and experience of operating motor chain hoists
- Experience Stage Managing amplified performances
- Experience of maintaining and repairing equipment
- Experience of carrying out Portable Appliance Testing
- Awareness and experience of Health & Safety legislation and practice including noise at work and working at height
- Experience working with national and international artists, tour managers, promoters and hirers
- Ability to read rigging plans
- An understanding of other areas of live music productions (apart from your specialism)
- Comfortable working at height and within confined, dusty and loud areas
- IOSH qualification and/or experience of preparing Risk Assessments and Method Statements
- A liking and appreciation of music and the arts
Practical experience in one of the following disciplines:
- Good experience of mixing audio for front-of-house or monitors, for a wide range of musical genres
- Experience in set-up and use of DiGiCo and Midas digital mixing consoles, including associated hardware and connectivity
- Good working knowledge of microphone types and best application practices
- Experienced in planning audio input patching for events
- Strong experience of audio within live music production
- Competent in the set-up and management of wireless microphone systems
- Experience working with line array audio systems
- Experience of loudspeaker control systems (software and hardware)
- Knowledge of FFT based audio analysis software
- Experience of Pro-Tools recording systems (software and hardware)
- Expertise in programming and operating Avolites lighting consoles for live performances
- Good working knowledge of installed and portable dimming systems and power distribution
- Working knowledge of connectivity and networking solutions for lighting systems
- Good knowledge of lighting fixtures (including intelligent moving fixtures)
- Strong experience of lighting within live music production
- Ability to create lighting plans
- Experience of programming and operating other lighting control consoles (eg MA and Chamsys)
Audio Visual (Essential)
- Good experience of operating a variety of AV switchers including Analog Way, Roland and DataVideo to a high standard.
- Experience in the set-up of HD and 4K signal connectivity and patching over networks.
- Experience in the use and maintenance of high-end projection equipment and optics.
- Experienced in working with and managing multiple video signals on corporate and entertainment events including displaying multiple sources at a time on screen.
- Strong experience of presentation software including Qlab, PowerPoint, Keynote, Zoom and Prezi
- Experience in setting up and hosting complex hybrid events using Zoom, OBS or Wirecast with multiple cameras and end users.
Audio Visual (Desirable)
- Experience of setting up and working with LED wall.
- Knowledge of filming with a variety of cameras and recording equipment.
- Video editing experience with current editing software. EG: Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premier, DaVinci Resolve
- Experience with archiving large data including compressing media where appropriate.
- Good all round IT knowledge with Apple and PC products.
If you’re not a perfect match for the job description and criteria, we encourage you to apply anyway. We are more interested in your determination, positivity, and willingness to get stuck in.