Are you passionate about design? Do you have an appreciation of theatre? We are looking for two Assistant Designers to join us on a year-long scheme to see first-hand how a world-renowned theatre company works. You will experience the creative processes from a range of different top designers and will learn how the ideas that are worked on in the studio are translated to the stage.
What will you be doing?
- Assisting the Director of Design in the creation of productions for the RSC (including model-making, technical drawing, prop buying, fabric sampling, research and basic admin etc.)
- Assisting freelance designers in their studios and on research trips during their work on RSC productions
- Attending relevant design meetings
- Working collaboratively with RSC craft design departments
Who are we looking for? You will have:
- Excellent design ability (as shown through a portfolio of past work)
- Model-making skills to a high standard
- Technical drawing skills
- Knowledge and interest in costume design and construction
- Painting skills
- Good communications skills and high degree of motivation
- Knowledge of design packages such as AutoCAD, MicroStation and Photoshop (desirable)
How do you apply?
Once you have completed your online application, you are required to submit a 10-page (20 sided) A4 portfolio. We are unable to return portfolios, but they are essential to your application and will be the main resource that the panel of designers will use to judge your work. In the portfolio we need to see evidence of good model making, and a range of productions either realised or theoretical which show your design potential.
Please submit your portfolio via post to:
Royal Shakespeare Company
3 Chapel Lane
The closing date for applications is 17 January 2020 and interviews will be held in London W/C 24 February 2020 (TBC).
Applicants should be graduates of a theatre design course or have relevant practical experience of work in theatre or film/television design.
The RSC strives for excellence, and values integrity, inclusion, ambition and innovation. We act with respect, show leadership and build resilient ways of working in all our activities.
We aim to create a welcoming, supportive environment which is happy, healthy and safe. We place great importance upon developing a diverse, highly motivated and energised workforce to help achieve our priorities. We put our values at the heart of everything we do.
All applications should be made online using the RSC website.
We are committed to building a diverse workforce and welcome applications from all.
The Royal Shakespeare Company (no. 212481) is a publicly funded registered charity.
var ClickMeter_pixel_url = ‘//pixel.watch/hr1l’;