Hours: Core hours of the business are 8am – 10pm
Shift Times: Shifts are Tuesday through to Sunday with six-day cover required (we are closed on a Monday)
Contract Type: All of our roles are permanent and full time (40 hours).
Salary: £15 per hour plus gratuities
Location: Keeper’s House, Private Members Club, Royal Academy of Arts, Piccadilly
Please note this role is not a direct role with the Royal Academy of Arts and all contracts are managed by the RA Catering Partner Heritage Portfolio.
About This Role:
This is an exciting opportunity for someone who has worked in the hospitality industry to take their career to the next level and help us to open our revamped private members club. You will have the chance to grow your skills in a private members club environment (the Keeper’s House) whilst working for a major national arts institution in the centre of London. You will be part of the core team of the Keeper’s House and the right candidate will have a clear opportunity to grow with this role from the outset.
The Keeper’s House is a perfect blend of art and hospitality; creating a “home away from home” for Friends of the RA, Patrons, Royal Academicians and visitors. Inside you’ll find a café, a member’s room and a cosy bar with its own secret garden. The walls of Keeper’s House are adorned with a revolving programme of RA Editions, presenting works for sale from Academicians and other invited artists.
- Working on the floor and in the bars between the different club rooms
- Ensuring food and drinks are served to the highest standard
- Exemplifying the appropriate tone and style for The Keeper’s House
- Managing bookings and table reservations
- Public facing with House and Bar & Garden Members
- Reporting to Heritage Portfolio, Royal Academy General Manager
- Cleaning down and restocking
- Taking Member enquiries, requests and complaints
The Keeper’s House is a small team offering an intimate experience to our customers and you will be an important part of that. Your positive and can-do attitude will reflect in your level of service from the way you greet a guest all the way through to the farewell.
A positive attitude towards our members and colleagues is essential. We are searching for individuals who have the passion and attention to detail in deliver a memorable experience to our guests, every time. You will take pride in your role and the delivery of service at all times.
In the Keeper’s House the style and ambiance is the most important aspect of what we offer our customers. Every part of the Keeper’s House should look its best from the moment you arrive until the moment you leave. As the Host you should do everything to ensure the experience is perfect.
We are looking for:
- A minimum of 2 years FOH experience in a restaurant setting
- People who can share their passion for food and drink
- Enjoy working in a team and have a genuine love for creating a great visitor experience
- A natural and positive communicator who can engage with a variety of people in different situations
- Seizes opportunities to make things better
- Adaptability; a willingness to learn and embrace change
As mentioned above you will be employed by Heritage Portfolio, working onsite at the Royal Academy of Arts.
Heritage Portfolio – Cultural Destinations
Heritage Portfolio are a team of event specialists, food experts and hospitality professionals who create and deliver dining experiences at 35 inspiring venues in the UK and Ireland.
The Royal Academy
The RA dates way back to 1768 when a group of artists and architects persuaded King George lll to help them to ‘establish a society for promoting the Art of Design’. Since then, there have been many changes, though the RA’s core purpose of bringing art and design to a broad audience and championing art and artists still holds true. Our exhibitions range from the annual Summer Exhibition to Impressionists on Paper, Marina Abramovich and Michael Craig-Martin.
- Opportunity to be part of the opening team of our new Membership relaunch
- 20% discount in the RA shop (terms and conditions apply)
- Free access to RA exhibitions
- 20 days annual leave (pro rata) plus bank holidays
- Closed at Christmas (24, 25 and 26 December)
To apply for this role, please send a copy of your CV and a covering letter to KH.Recruitment@royalacademy.org.uk.
If you have any questions in regards to the role prior to submitting an application please feel free to contact us on KH.Recruitment@royalacademy.org.uk.