We are a world-class visitor attraction and leading science research centre. We use the Museum’s unique collections and our unrivalled expertise to tackle the biggest challenges facing the world today. We care for more than 80 million objects spanning billions of years and welcome more than five million visitors annually and 16 million visits to our website.
Today the Museum is more relevant and influential than ever. By attracting people from a range of backgrounds to work for us, we can continue to look at the world with fresh eyes and find new ways of doing things.
We employ 900 staff in a variety of roles, all united by our vision of a future where people and planet thrive. We need everyone to have the passion and drive to help us with our mission to create advocates for our planet and inspire millions to care about the natural world.
Diversity and inclusion matter to us.
Our vision is of a future where both people and the planet thrive. Diversity is one of our core values and we strive to build a workplace where everyone feels a sense of belonging. All new staff who join us learn about the importance of diversity and inclusion to the Museum and how to contribute to creating an inclusive environment.
We know we have more to do, but we are committed to ensuring that everyone who works at the Museum feels they can thrive and feel valued and respected.
About the role
The world is changing and so are we. The natural world is evolving fast and we’re making critical choices at a time when people are more disconnected than ever before from their physical environment. As a world-leading scientific institution and an awe-inspiring, iconic visitor attraction, the Natural History Museum can help individuals; governments and society at large make better decisions for the future. All profits you help generate from the shops go to support the work of the museum in inspiring future generations. It’s a fantastic time to be part of the museum.
This is an exciting opportunity to contribute to the work of the Natural History Museum. As a Retail Assistant, you will be working in a large team across our 3 permanent onsite shops, and temporary exhibition and pop-up shops. We need dedicated, energetic, friendly people with high street or heritage retail experience to become familiar with our operational processes, support the day to day needs of the shop floor to drive sales and deliver an excellent customer experience at all times.
The normal opening hours of the shops are 10am-6pm, with standard shifts 8:00-16:15,10:00-18:15, and 12:00-18:30, and you will be required to work flexibly including weekends. You may be required out of these hours on occasion to support seasonal working or special events.
We have the following working contracts available at the moment as detailed below. You will be asked to specify what hours you are interested in applying for in your application.
These are all fixed term positions, please refer to the Job Description for contract length.
6 x Full Time; 37 hours per week
3 x Part-Time; 29.6 hours per week
6 x Part-Time; 22.20 hours per week
6 x Part-Time; 18 hours per week
Thriving at the Museum: the way we work
We are proud to work at the Museum and have identified the qualities we all need to embody to reach our shared ambition. This sits alongside the Museum’s values and forms the framework for the way we work.
Find out more here
What we offer
- 5 days holiday plus 8 bank holidays (full time equivalent)
- Generous defined contribution Natural History Museum Pension Scheme (employer contribution 4 – 10%)
- Season ticket, bicycle and rental loan
- Life insurance
- Free admission to our exhibitions and many other paid exhibitions at museums, galleries and institutions across London and the UK.
- Staff discount at our Museum shops and cafes
- We offer a wide variety of training initiatives and opportunities to build skills. Investing in staff development is important to us, and we are ambitious about helping staff to grow and fulfil their potential.
- Affordable membership to the Civil Service Sports Council which offers a range of benefits including an extensive list of special offers and reduced entry fees at a selection of cinema chains, theme parks, theatres, retailers and supermarkets. It also provides entry to up to 300 English Heritage sites and other national treasures. For more details, visit www.cssc.co.uk
- Membership to our Sports and Social Association (for a small fee), which includes access to our in-house gym and clubs such as football, softball, table tennis and tennis and classes in Middle Eastern dance, yoga and Tai Chi
How to apply
If that sounds like you, please apply online on the Natural History Museum’s careers portal, at careers.nhm.ac.uk
Closing date: 9am – Monday, 13 June 2022
Interviews expected w/c 20th June 2022
Salary: £20,735 per annum (pro rata) plus benefits
var ClickMeter_pixel_url = ‘//pixel.watch/4tfr’;