We’re looking for a passionate and creative person who can embrace our property vision to shape and deliver our Transformation Project to regenerate Penrhyn Castle’s visitor experience.
Penrhyn Castle is at the cusp of change. We are about to re-design our visitor journey and interpretation to create an emotionally provocative experience for our visitors – an experience that will bring theatre and drama to the time they spend with us– constructing a truly ‘must-see’ visitor attraction. This transformation project is about totally re-imagining our visitor offer; opening up new opportunities to interpret and present stories that are emotionally engaging and truly immersive, changing the way people interact with heritage.
What it’s like to work here
Penrhyn Castle is a Victorian house disguised as a huge neo-Norman castle, with a history steeped in slavery, slate, splendour and strikes, meaning we have a difficult and controversial history to tackle and share. We’re working on transforming how we tell this special place’s stories to move, teach and inspire our visitors by creating an environment welcoming new perspectives, debate and discussion.
What you’ll be doing
As the lead for this exciting project you will develop and ultimately deliver our ambitious plans of visitor growth and transformed visitor experience by drawing on the rich vein of difficult stories and research to re-vamp the whole visitor experience within the Castle, to engage, inform, surprise and provoke both new and existing visitors. You will redefine what Penrhyn has to offer and make a visit here dynamic and relevant, not just locally but nationally and even internationally, to help secure its future.
As well as the creative side, there is a need for a business-like approach. You will have to develop the business case and take the concept through to successful delivery. This will need you to plan your resources and take responsibility for project budgets, financial reporting and governance.
Please also download the full role profile
Who we’re looking for
- A creative thinker, with an impressive knowledge of the arts and cultural sector.
- Ideally you’ll come from an Arts, Media or Theatrical background.
- Ideally you have an understanding, and real passion, for heritage too
- Cultural empathy and understanding – you’ll be working with controversial history and passionate opinions.
- An inspirational leader who can steer our project team.
- You’ll be brave and unafraid to take risks.
- Proven delivery of multi-discipline projects, to time and budget, for varied audiences.
- A strategic thinker and able to evaluate success as you go.
- Experience of partnership management.
- Experience of working with creative production teams: lighting, sound, graphics, construction, script writers
- First class communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Experienced presenter, negotiator and relationship management with people at all levels.
Looking after you
- Health cash plan – from as little as £2.81 per month for you and your dependents
- Pension contribution match up to 10%
- EAP and proactive Health and Wellbeing
- Discounted gym membership
Looking after your career
- Grow your career through professional training courses across the Trust
- Develop your skills with an internal secondment
- Pay review linked to values and behaviours, commitment to progression
- Income protection due to illness
Unique to Us
- Work in some of the most beautiful, iconic and unique locations in the UK
- Free entry to NT properties for you, a guest and your children (under 18)
- 20% off in our retail and catering outlets
- Discount up to 35% off a National Trust holiday cottage booking
For more information and details on how to apply, please visit the website.