Arts Council Malta is creating a new project for theatre in Malta inspired by its vision to place the arts and creativity at the heart of Malta’s future. With the aim of achieving further artistic excellence through increased creative opportunities, collaborations and professional engagement in theatre, Teatru Malta is envisioned to be a non-building based project that seeks to approach theatre making in an open and diverse way. Working with creative professionals from Malta and abroad, existing theatre companies and new companies and the various communities in Malta and Gozo, Teatru Malta will create exciting, relevant and engaging work for various audiences across Malta and Gozo and within diverse spaces and venues.
The project will be heavily rooted in community work and aspires to bridge the cultural difference between Maltese mainstream theatre and the vibrant theatrical activity happening on the periphery. Strategically, this aspiration includes the revival and refurbishment of sites and spaces around Malta and Gozo, that are currently dormant, in view of creating new accommodation for the practice of theatre productions, rehearsals and other performing arts related projects.
Teatru Malta was announced in the Government 2016 Budget under the remit of Arts Council Malta. The project is also one of the actions of the Arts Council Malta 2020 Strategy and a deliverable of the Government’s Electoral Manifesto for Culture.
In order to drive forward the vision for this project, Arts Council Malta is seeking a visionary and inspiring cultural leader who will serve as the first Artistic Director of Teatru Malta. The first artistic programme for Teatru Malta will be launched in 2018 as part of Valletta European Capital of Culture.
The Artistic Director will be required to:
- Lead the initial phases of the national project in collaboration with Arts Council Malta.
- Build and inspire a team engaged to collaborate with Teatru Malta.
- Maximise on current projects and together with the sector determine a way forward for Teatru Malta;
- Collaborate with the theatre community, drawing on the diverse skills and talent taking into account the cultural diversity and the local theatre resources of Malta and Gozo;
- Create debate about theatre with the sector, other sectors and audiences;
- Contribute towards strengthening the artistic and technical capacities of theatre making in Malta;
- Increase communication, networking and collaboration between the different stakeholders making up the theatre ecology;
- Achieve a level of excellence in programming through the commissioning of new work and the creation of innovative and exciting productions and co-productions;
- Engage existing audiences and develop new audiences;
- Collaborate with Public Cultural Organisations;
- Collaborate with training institutions in the arts for professional development in theatre;
- Represent Teatru Malta and champion its work nationally and internationally;
- Develop positive relationships with the press and media, acting as a key spokesperson for Teatru Malta.
- Ensure that public funding awarded for the project is managed in a responsible manner according to the relevant public procurement regulations.
i) Creating a vision and strategy for Teatru Malta
One of the first tasks of the Artistic Director is to set a vision and build a strategy for Teatru Malta that reflects the goals set in Arts Council Malta’s Strategy2020 – namely, nurturing creative potential and supporting its development into professional activity; investing in artistic excellence; connecting Malta to the international artistic community; providing more opportunities for people to engage in creativity and building the capacity of public cultural organisations.
The Artistic Director will be requested to advise on the longer-term governance structure of Teatru Malta to secure the eventual arms-length operation from Arts Council Malta.
ii) Bringing together a creative management team
To manage such a project, which will primarily be characterised by project-based work as well as different collaborators on a national and international level, the Artistic Director will be required to develop a structure for a production team focusing specifically on managing productions, projects and communications on a national and international level.
iii) Launching the first programme.
The Artistic Director will be required to commission and programme the first productions for Teatru Malta. In collaboration with Maltese and international theatre practitioners, the Artistic Director will be required to develop professional structures that provide the time
and space for the creative associates to research ideas and create new work that adds value to Malta’s creative ecology.
iv) Engaging in communality.
Teatru Malta should serve as champion for theatre in Malta and act as a reference point for the theatre sector whilst instilling a sense of communality within the theatre field as well as with the respective stakeholders. The Artistic Director will be encouraged to engage:
- Inside the theatre practitioners’ sphere through networking platforms, labs for the development of new and innovative work, theatre clusters and productions.
- With identified communities by including them in the process with the aim of creating a community cultural exchange, developing audiences, inspiring the artistic process and engaging the various local efforts on the periphery of theatre practice into the heart of Teatru Malta.
- With other stakeholders to extend collaborations with the aim of engaging with other sectors, create solid relationships with funders from the private sector and enhance the relevance of the theatre sector to society and life in general.
The person specifications
- Outstanding experience in theatre as a theatre maker or creative producer with a strong and diverse portfolio demonstrating artistic excellence in theatre.
- Experience in an arts leadership position with a creative passion and enthusiasm to drive forward a new national artistic project.
- Ability to develop a vision for Teatru Malta and deliver a strong programme of inspiring, ground breaking and exciting theatre work, productions and activities.
- Experience in project management and clear understanding on strategic thinking within an organisation.
- Thorough knowledge and understanding in fundraising and financial planning and management.
- Extensive knowledge and access to national and international theatre networks.
- Extensive knowledge of Malta’s cultural and creative sectors, with special focus on the theatre sector.
- A proven understanding, track record and commitment to develop talent and audiences.
- A proven understanding, track record and commitment to develop learning and participatory opportunities.
- An excellent communicator with the ability to present and debate issues convincingly internally and externally on public platforms and in the media.
- Ability to champion the project within Government, the public sector, the theatre and wider arts sector.
- Strong diplomatic skills.
The chosen candidate will be engaged on a three-year contract for service. Answerable to the Executive Chairman of Arts Council Malta and the Director of Strategy, the chosen candidate is expected to lead the project, operating with flexible hours to meet the demands and requirements of the position. The chosen candidate will be required to work within the rules and regulations of the Malta Public Service.
The remuneration is of EUR25,000, excluding VAT, per year. Payment will be processed monthly by Arts Council Malta on receipt of an invoice with a valid VAT number. On settlement the person is to provide a VAT receipt to the Contracting Authority.
The chosen candidate may enter into negotiations with Arts Council Malta on other engagements, artistic or otherwise, with other organisations and/or in other countries, as long as such engagements are not in direct conflict with the chosen candidate’s commitment to ensure successful, effective and visionary direction of Teatru Malta.
To Apply: Please supply a CV and a covering letter explaining how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Applications are to be sent to the Executive Chairman, Arts Council Malta on firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications is 14th October 2016.